87 Pins 7w
Locarno, Streatham Hill
Locarno, Streatham Hill Date : 1930 The Locarno Dance Hall, Streatham Hill, was part of an entertainment complex built along Streatham High Road c.1930, which included the Streatham Theatre and The Gaumont Cinema. The Armistice Ball seen advertised, was held at the Locarno in November 1930, when it was one of the most popular purpose built dance halls in South London. It was renamed The Cat's Whiskers in 1970 and has had many changes to its name and appearance since then.
57-71 Streatham Hill © Stephen Richards cc-by-sa/2.0
57-71 Streatham Hill. A contrasting mix of brick and terracotta in this parade of shops, with flats above. It is within the Leigham Court Estate Conservation Area. The Leigham Court development was one of the first model housing estates, designed for and built specifically to house the middle classes at the end of the C19, and anticipated the garden suburbs of the early C20. It was built by the Artisans', Labourers' and General Dwellings Company, whose architect was Rowland Plumbe, in 1894-1905.