Initiatives like this are so important for promoting our fantastic independent local retailers. Saffron Walden Town Team members with copies of the Tour de France leaflet which is aimed at promoting the town.
Saffron Walden - In the medieval period the primary trade was in wool and a guild hall was built by the wool-staplers in the marketplace. It was demolished in 1847 and replaced by a corn exchange. In the 16th and 17th centuries the saffron crocus (Crocus sativus) was widely grown, thanks to the town's favourable soil and climate. The flower was precious, as the extract from the stigmas was used in medicines, as a condiment, in perfume, as an aphrodisiac, and as an expensive yellow dye.
Saffron Walden - A priory, Walden Abbey, was founded under the patronage of Geoffrey de Mandeville, first Earl of Essex around 1136 on the site of what is now Audley End village. The abbey was separated from the town of Walden by Holywell Field. After the dissolution of the monasteries, Sir Thomas Audley converted the abbey cloisters into a dwelling. Later this would become the site of Audley End House. The market square in July 2012. The Guildhall is the half-timbered building.The…
Hanging baskets in Saffron Walden town centre. Summer 2013 www.billflowers.co.uk
Saffron Walden Town Hall. Saffron Walden, Essex. - A historical wedding venue full of history
Henry Scott Tuke, Elizabeth Gibson, née Tuke, c. 1880, Oil on board, Collection: Saffron Walden Town Council