Abandoned Mental, Psychiatric Hospital / Insane Asylum
Abandoned Children's Center (Asylum) / Hospital that opened its doors in 1925. During the early years this facility was known as a state-of-the-art treatment facility. With a good reputation this hospital set the standard for other states to follow. With declining conditions decades later many patients filed lawsuits against the hospital for reasons of abuse, neglect, poor living conditions... even medical testing. In 1991 the Federal government ordered the facility to be closed.
Inside Creedmoor State Hospital’s Building 25
Inside Creedmoor Psychiatric Center, Building 25. The campus was constructed in 1912 in Queens Village as the Farm Colony of Brooklyn State Hospital. Thousands of mentally disturbed individuals passed through the doors and like many asylums of the time it was overrun with patients, swelling from 500 to 7,000 by 1984. Scandal hit when a staff member was accused of stabbing a patient in the throat while the patient was restrained in a straight jacket. (click pic for story and more pics)
Gurney Ward - Photo of the Abandoned Greystone Park Psychiatric Center
Abandoned for 25 years, this Psychiatric Hospital was built in 1871, one of the largest of its kind. It opened in five years later as the State Lunatic Asylum, and quickly became overcrowded with patients - a trend that would continue as late as the 1970s. By the peak years in the 1950s, this facility held over 7,600 people. As with most asylums built at this time, the hospital had it's own farms for food production, post office, fire and police stations, staff residences, and even a quarry.
West Virginia Hospital for the Insane | Indians, Insanity, and American History Blog
The West Virginia Hospital for the Insane was fairly typical. Its board of directors recognized the need to provide care for “colored” patients, yet didn’t feel the asylum could accept them until it had room to separate the races. The asylum did begin to accept black patients sometime in the late 1880s, placing them in separate wards from whites. In 1893, the board of directors asked for $6,000 to build a colored hospital.