The Libraries spring 2011 exhibit, Irvine, the Vision, the Plan, the Promise, chronicles the origins and development of three community pillars: the City of Irvine, Irvine Company, and the University of California Irvine: and how each played a key role in the evolution of Irvine into a nationally recognized model planned community
An old schoolhouse on Sand Canyon Avenue was home to the Sunday School in the 1940s. Irvine Community Church grew out of this Sunday School. After much discussion and prayer, the trustees James Irvine donated the land and small amounts began to arrive. After much prayer, sacrifice, and hard work, the congregation moved in their new place of worship in October 1951. Photo Oct. 2011 DSMc.