61 Pins 34w
Similar ideas popular now
St Catharine's Orphan Asylum for Girls, 1026 Franklin Street, Reading, PA
Mrs Catharine Madary, Reading Widow, left her estate for establishment of a home to assist children who had no home. Orphanage opened April 15, 1872. First a one-story brick building, in 2 years, a three-story addition added. Another three-story building build in 1886-1887 at same location.
Rio Theatre, 647 Schuylkill Ave near Oley, Reading, PA
Ben Zerr opened Olivet Theatre on Thanksgiving Day 1911 with "The Landing of Columbus." 1913-theatre renamed Schuylkill Avenue Theatre. 1928-theatre closed & building became market house and later tabernacle. April 11, 1936 Henry Spork & Harry Bock refurbished interior, constructed marquee & entranceway and renamed "Rio Theatre". Mr Sork became sole operator and gave Pauline Gilberry & John Leiss the job as managers.
Jno C Stockers Brewery, 2100 N 11th Street, Reading, PA
Jno's Wife: Catherine Roerich Stocker-5 children Henry, J George, Catherine, Adam, Caroline-Son Adam was killed in explosion of beer vat, Oct 20, 1905 at age 26. Son John graduated American Brewer Academy, Chicago, Illinois in 1903. 1893-brewmaster of father's brewery & 1897 general manager of brewery. Son John sold brewery and parent's home in 1907 to Pittsburg brewer, Augustus Snyder.
Today's image is of the northeast corner of N. 5th and Penn Sts, circa late 19th century. The building on the corner originally known as the State House was constructed in 1793, although the upper floors are a later addition after a fire in 1872. Remember to tell your friends to " like" our main page. Thanks for helping to share Reading's architectural history.