Love Canal, NY. In the mid-1970s it was revealed that the site had formerly been used to bury 21,000 tons of toxic waste by Hooker Chemical (now Occidental Petroleum Corporation). The site sold to the Niagara Falls School Board in 1953 for $1, with a deed explicitly detailing the presence of the waste. Construction of housing developments, combined with particularly heavy rainstorms, released the chemical waste. The contaminated area is mostly abandoned and the houses removed.