Published on May 17, 2022
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Serving Size: 6 servings
- •3 large eggs
- •1 1/4 cups whole milk
- •1 1/4 cups flour
- •1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- •1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- •1 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut evenly into 6 pieces
- •Preheat oven to 425°F.
- •Butter the sides of a 6-cup popover pan* (or a 12-cup muffin tin).
- •In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until they become pale yellow and voluminous.
- •Whisk in the milk.
- •Gradually add the flour and salt and continue to whisk until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- •Whisk in the melted butter.
- •Preheat the popover pan in the oven for 2 minutes.
- •Place one piece of butter in each cup and return pan to oven for another minute. Butter should be melted and bubbly.
- •Divide the batter evenly among the cups and bake for 20 minutes.
- •Without opening the oven, lower the heat to 325°F, and bake for another 20 minutes. Popovers should be puffed and golden brown. (To avoid deflating the popovers, use the oven light rather than opening the oven door to check on popovers.)
- •Serve immediately with a smear of thyme butter and a spoonful of strawberry compote.
- •*If you don't have a popover pan, a muffin tin will also work but will yield smaller popovers.